Friday, September 16, 2011

And now for something completely different..... and OT

Decided to post what I've done for our Halloween costumes so far. It's nothing much or too impressive..... YET heh.
Hoping it all comes out looking better than what I've done so far :P I really need to get these horns done already so I can start working on the prostethics for our faces. I know I'll need a lot of experimenting to get it right.

Anywho, here is what I've done so far and the errors I've made.

First up... DH's horn. He's going to have 2, but it's just easier doing 1 and copying it.
This is the first one I did. It's made from air drying clay... nothing fancy. I'm planning on making a plaster mold from it so I can make the latex horn have all of the smaller details in the horn....

and THAT is where the problem lies. I have to halve the sculpture and then cast each half. I didn't do that the first time. I tried some thing that didn't work and wasted a lot of material. No photo of that b/c I threw it out lol.
2nd time, I did half the clay, BUT I still used an aluminum foil armature for the center of the horn which was a big mistake. Some of the clay was too thin and fragile, and then the clay didn't want to seperate properly.
So what you have is.... a broken horn... bleh.... this was my 2nd attempt.
I could try gluing it back together, but meh, I'd rather just make a new horn.

I did do a smaller less detailed horn that I could just put the latex right on. The first one is SO ugly (right). Really bumpy and gross looking lol. 2nd one is a bit better (left).
Don't think I'll use this anyway. It's a bit larger than I anticipated on my face.

I was working on DH's nails today. Need to find a black nail polish so I can paint them or just some color, not sure what yet. He's gonna look so sexy with them on! heh
I just bought one of those 100 count pack of fake nails. Think it cost not even $5 at walmart.
Made DH fit his nails, then glued 2 of the same sizes together. Cut them to a point and then filed them down.
Holding the thumb nail up on my finger so you can see how long it will be. Not too long but still cool looking :D


And yep, that's it so far. I finally have an idea for my own costume. Been watching makeup tutorials on youtube and I really like the broken doll look w/ the big eyes w/ giant eyelashes. I already have the eyelashes so just needed the rest of the idea heh.
I'll be some hellish demon doll thing. It looks scary in my head. Hopefully I'll be able to do it :D


No comments: