Saturday, January 15, 2011

Offtpic for another obsession of mine

I got another betta today! YAY!
If ya didn't know, I'm crazy for fish. We have a 125, 29, 10, and now a 5 gallon tank. I have another 10 gallon and a 3 gallon that aren't being used atm.

Anywho, I LOVE betta fish, or siamese fighting fish as some people know them. I haven't had one for about a year though.
We took a road trip to a Petco. It was around 40mins away. I only wanted to go b/c I knew they had fancier betta fish.
Betta fish are categorized by their tails.
The common ones that most petstores have are
Veil Tails
Their tails are really long and drape like a piece of cloth even when the betta is flared (showing off basically)



Next more common one is the Crown tail.
This refers to when the betta's rays on their fins grow in to long spikey looking extentions. I guess rays = veins?




Then you start getting in to the fancier more expensive stuff.....
I think the next most common is the Delta then Super Delta. Not sure why they're called this, but it has to do w/ how wide their tail flares out.
This one is a Super Delta (not one I have owned, but boy do I wish)



Then one of the most expensive and most wanted is the Half Moon.
This means that when the tail is flared, the tail creates a half circle, or 'half moon'.
There are different variations. Some breeders have managed to create 'Half Suns' Which is just a crown tail betta that has a half moon flare. If that makes any sense heh.
My new little betta is supposed to be a Half Moon, but it looks more like a delta or super delta.
This one is just a half moon.


Then there is the Rose tail betta. These are usually half moons w/ a lot of extra membrane between each ray in the tail. This creates a very pretty tail that resembles rose petals


Then you have Plakats, which are just male bettas with smaller fins.
And also double tail. this one can be in any of the other tail variations. This is when the tail pretty much splits creating a double tail look. I personally don't like that one at all, but to each their own.

And yeah, that's my obsessing for now. I think I've made myself look like a crazy fish person enough for tonight :D
I'll post photos of my new betta after it has calmed down some.

No comments: