Friday, March 11, 2011

Chicken or the egg

I have a great idea!! At least I think it's great and it's going to help us out along with DH's uncle & aunt.

His uncle and aunt have been raising their own egg laying hens for about a year now (give or take).
I figure if we're going to stick to this way of eating AND I want to start eating locally produced foods... what better way than to start of with purchasing our own egg laying hens!
Now we can't raise them at our house b/c of the HOA, so I figure, if U&A agree... we could buy some hens, and let them take care of chickens for us and give us the eggs every week.
We would of course give them some money for the extra time, space, and feed they would be using though.
It's a win win. They're getting money they desperately need, we're getting better quality eggs that we know are coming from free range chickens that are getting fed good feed.

I totally think they should start raising chickens to sell too. Free range chickens... not difficult to take care of at all. They live out in the country with DH's mother, father, and another aunt. They have PLENTY of land.
I mean they already keep a few farm animals as pets, so why not just keeping a few farm animals to eat and sell, ya know? I always tell that to DH and he agrees but he never says anything.. go fig.

1 comment:

One Cycle at a Time said...

I think that's a great idea!!! I had a friend who raised chickens and she always raved about how much better they were than store-bought. Definitely a win-win! :-)